Wheelchair Users’ Accessibility Problems in Public Transportation-Case of Metro Bus
Keywords:Accessibility, wheelchair user, public transportation, metro bus (bus rapid transit)
Every day, in urban areas, the mobility of people and goods forms inner urban transportation. When urban transportation is carried in the form of public transportation, it becomes a public service. The urban public transport is one of the important services for all citizens since it is a public service provision. This service is provided by local government and it has been offered as a service without any distinctions between young, old, children, men, women, disabled, employee or retired or briefly to the society. Additionally, traffic congestion and the expence of owing and maintaining vehicles increase public transport usage in cities.
Acar, İ.H.(date not mentioned) ‘Kentlerimiz İçin Metrobüs Çözümleri’,<http://www.e-kutuphane.imo.org.tr/pdf/3188.pdf> [Accessed 10 September 2013]
Anonym,.(2013)‘IETT Official Web Site’,
Evcil Türksever, A. N.. (2001). Türkiye’de Büyük Şehir Alanlarında Yaşam Kalitesinin Değerlendirilmesine Yönelik Bir YöntemDenemesi. İ.T.Ü. Institute of Science Istanbul, Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis
Evcil, A. N. (2007). “İstanbul Kent İçi Ulaşımında Engellilerin Erişebilirliği”, 4. Trafik ve Yol Güvenliği Ulusal Kongresi , 23-25 May 2007, pp. 273-282, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
Evcil, A. N. (2010). “Designers’ Attitudes Towards Disabled People and the Compliance of Public Open Spaces: the Case of Istanbul”, European Planning Studies, 18(11): 1863-1880.
Gümüş , Ç. D.. (2001). Kent İçi Toplu Taşımacılık Hizmetlerinde Özürlüler İçin Ulaşılabilirliğin Sağlanması. Özürlüler İdaresi. Başkanlığı Özürlüler Uzmanlığı Tezi, Ankara
Renda, Y. (1996). “Şehir ve Ulaşım”, Bilim Teknik, 349: 20-26.
Sürmen , Ş.. (2004). Ben Sa-kat-landım. Nüans Arma Publishing. Istanbul
Strickfaden, M. and Devlieger, P., 2011, “Empathy Through Accumalating Techne:Designing an Accessible Metro”, The Design Journal, 14, 2, 207-230
http://metrobus.iett.org.tr [Accessed 10 September 2013]
How to Cite
1. The International Journal of Architecture and Planning (ICONARP) open access articles are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDeriatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0). This license lets the author to share (copy and redistribute) his/her article in any medium or format.
2. ICONARP cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms. Under the following terms:
The author must give appropriate credit, provide a link to ICONARP, and indicate if changes were made on the article. The author may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the ICONARP endorses the author or his/her use.
The author may not use the article for commercial purposes.
If the author remix, transform, or build upon the article, s/he may not distribute the modified material.
The author may share print or electronic copies of the Article with colleagues.
The author may use the Article within his/her employer’s institution or company for educational or research purposes, including use in course packs.
3. The author authorizes the International Journal of Architecture and Planning (ICONARP) to exclusively publish online his/her Article, and to post his/her biography at the end of the article, and to use the articles.
4. The author agrees to the International Journal of Architecture and Planning (ICONARP) using any images from the Article on the cover of the Journal, and in any marketing material.
5. As the author, copyright in the Article remains in his/her name.6. All papers should be submitted electronically. All submitted manuscripts must be original work that is not under submission at another journal or under consideration for publication in another form, such as a monograph or chapter of a book. Authors of submitted papers are obligated not to submit their paper for publication elsewhere until an editorial decision is rendered on their submission. Further, authors of accepted papers are prohibited from publishing the results in other publications that appear before the paper is published in the Journal.