Public Space and Accessibility
Keywords:Inclusive design, design for the disabled, universal design, accessibility
Virtually everyone experiences a physical disability at some time in their lives; that is to say that their mobility has been restricted. An infant, en adult with an injury, a parent with a pushchair, an elderly person are all disabled in one way or another. Those who remain healthy and able-bodied throughout their lives are few. The physical environment and public services and public spaces in general should be as barrier-free as possible to fulfil the needs of all people equally. People with a disability have the same rights as other people. People with a disability are not a homogeneous group. They may include the mentally retarded. The most important item for the disabled people is the possibility of circulation; namely accessibility. Inclusive and universal design approaches have to be considered especially for the public spaces and public buildings. In this paper, some main items of circulation in relation with accessibility have been detailed as well as a workshop study outputs which has been hold in Selçuk University, Department of Architecture.
Arvanitis, A. V. (2004) People with a Disability in Modern Society, Published by Biopolitics International Organization, ISBN 960-7508-20-3, Athens.
Gürallar, Neşe (2009) Kamusal Alan, Mimarlık 350 Dergisi, Kasım – Aralık.
İmamoğlu, V. (2013) Evrensel Tasarıma Bir Yaklaşım: ODTÜ Mimarlık Fakültesi Deneyimi, “Herkes İçin Tasarım” Müfredatı Geliştirme Çalıştayı, Derleyenler, A.Özkul, C. Girgin, O. Tutal, M. Anay, Anadolu Üniversitesi Yay., Eskişehir.
Koca, D., Yılmaz, M. (2017) Engelliler İçin Mekan Düzenlemelerinde Kapsayıcı Tasarım, YÖK yayını, Ankara.
Kosova, E. (2007) Kamusal Alan ve Güncel Sanat, Proje Kitabı, İstanbul Bilgi Üniversitesi Yayınları, İstanbul.
Özdemir, A. (2017) Engelsiz Yaşama Doğru, ODTÜ’lüler Bülteni, ODTÜ Mezunlar Derneği Yayını, Şubat, sayı 267, Ankara.
www. Investopedia.com access date June, 2018.
How to Cite
1. The International Journal of Architecture and Planning (ICONARP) open access articles are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDeriatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0). This license lets the author to share (copy and redistribute) his/her article in any medium or format.
2. ICONARP cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms. Under the following terms:
The author must give appropriate credit, provide a link to ICONARP, and indicate if changes were made on the article. The author may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the ICONARP endorses the author or his/her use.
The author may not use the article for commercial purposes.
If the author remix, transform, or build upon the article, s/he may not distribute the modified material.
The author may share print or electronic copies of the Article with colleagues.
The author may use the Article within his/her employer’s institution or company for educational or research purposes, including use in course packs.
3. The author authorizes the International Journal of Architecture and Planning (ICONARP) to exclusively publish online his/her Article, and to post his/her biography at the end of the article, and to use the articles.
4. The author agrees to the International Journal of Architecture and Planning (ICONARP) using any images from the Article on the cover of the Journal, and in any marketing material.
5. As the author, copyright in the Article remains in his/her name.6. All papers should be submitted electronically. All submitted manuscripts must be original work that is not under submission at another journal or under consideration for publication in another form, such as a monograph or chapter of a book. Authors of submitted papers are obligated not to submit their paper for publication elsewhere until an editorial decision is rendered on their submission. Further, authors of accepted papers are prohibited from publishing the results in other publications that appear before the paper is published in the Journal.